My Photo
Name:
Location: Nebraska, United States

I am a stay-at-home mom to 2 children, Ryan and Alexa. My husband and I are high school sweethearts who have been through college, medical school, residency, and fellowship together. He just started his practice in orthopaedic spine surgery in our home town.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Happy Belated May Day

May Day is a huge deal here in Kearney. I'm not really sure why, it just always has been that way. Every year on May 1st, the kids (really the parents) make May Day "baskets" full of goodies for their neighbors. The children take the baskets to their friends house, ring the doorbell, and try and get away before the person sees you. It use to be that if you caught the person delivering the basket you would catch them and kiss them, but the kids don't really do that anymore. The May Day tradition is huge in my neighborhood. As soon as school lets out, it is crazy. Kind of reminds me of Halloween, just without the costumes and cold weather.

This year the kids and I took empty toilet paper rolls, covered it with tissue paper, tied one end, filled the roll with candy, and then tied the other end. We then put a sticker on it with their names. Next year I need to remember to ask Kacey with Doodlebugs to make up some cute stickers for me.



Some of my neighbors are very creative. Look and see.


I really enjoy May Day. It is such a nice way to get out in the neighborhood and see everyone and celebrate the beautiful weather. Hope everyone had a glorious May Day! Did anyone else celebrate this holiday?

16 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Sounds like fun. I remember clebrating May Day when I was in Kindergarten. I ran across an old picture of me doing what we called a May Pole dance when I was in Kinder. May 1st snuck up on me, but maybe I'll post it tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Sounds like fun. Such cute ideas. I don't think I've ever celebrated May day. However, yesterday was the equivalent of Labor Day in Peru...and we did celebrate that by doing almost nothing all day long! It felt good to totally relax for a day.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

That is awesome that you celebrate May Day! What fun...and what creativity!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

How great is that? Better than Halloween! Look at all the creative goodness too.

4:15 PM  
Blogger carlo said...

oh now that is fun! really nothing like it here but fun ideas. love the bubbles. i may have to start it here.

4:37 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

I have heard of people dropping off May baskets and flowers but never candy. Total score! I am running low in the candy department. What a great idea you had for the toliet paper rolls. How long did you have to save those? It wouldn't take long in our house with Doug around :)

6:00 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Jenny- Sad, but not very long. I don't know what we do.

6:25 PM  
Blogger donna said...

How fun. What a great neighborhood you love in. I am going to do next year :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

What a great tradition! I had a friend leave a pansy on my doorstep and that's the first May Day gift I've ever received. I think your celebration sounds like so much fun.

11:51 AM  
Blogger sue p. said...

Great May Day pics, Bridget. Your "baskets" turned out great.
Mom

8:28 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Way cute ideas! I loved the soda cans with the straws. My kids would be in heaven over those. I have never celebrated May Day.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

We celebrated May Day also. I love all those ideas. That will be fun for next year.

8:52 PM  
Blogger trayceetee said...

I can't get over how many people DON'T celebrate May Day, with the May baskets. We always did the same thing you do, Bridget. We do it now with the girls, and their school even passes out May baskets (no kissing, of course) to the students! Apparently, not all of our neighbors are into it, though, 'cuz only one neighbor returned the favor. We did have our good friends drive over and bring reciprocal May Baskets, after we had dropped ours for them off earlier in the day....

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the toilet paper roll idea! I'm going to have to remember that and do that (or something similar) next year. I always forget until the last minute and just do plastic or styrofoam cups... lately, I've even stopped using the pipe cleaner handles. I'm so lazy! If I plan further in advance, the way you did, it'll be much more fun--and maybe it'll stir up more interest from fellow neighbors! (Even if it doesn't, it'll be even more fun for our girls!) Thanks for the great idea--hope you don't mind me stealing it!
xoxo

5:26 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Steal all you want, Trac! :)

6:25 AM  
Blogger trayceetee said...

Thanks, Bridge!

7:13 AM  
Blogger annalisa said...

I have never celebrated the holiday. What a fun tradition.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home