My Photo
Name:
Location: Nebraska, United States

I am a stay-at-home mom to 2 children, Ryan and Alexa. My husband and I are high school sweethearts who have been through college, medical school, residency, and fellowship together. He just started his practice in orthopaedic spine surgery in our home town.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

I'm a Sap

Jim and Gracie at Easter 2000

Gracie's 2nd Birthday. The girl loved Diet Coke. We did not have kids yet because I would never buy a 2 year old DC now. :)


Steph and Gracie with Ryan a few days after he was born.


Summer at Six Flags. Anyone notice the cute Clouse kids? :)


Residency graduation 2004. Steph and I were both pregnant at the time. She would not be happy with me for putting up this picture, but it was the most recent one I had of the four of us.



I admit it. I am sap. It does not take much to make tears come to my eyes, good or bad. Books, movies, TV shows, thinking of my family, even the occasional commercial. Today was no exception (the PMS that I am experiencing right now doesn't help matters either). I received such a sweet note from Steph, one of my friends from residency. She recently had a baby and was thanking me for the baby gift I had sent her. I wasn't surprised to get a thank you from her, but was by the beautiful note she wrote. I left me in tears. I have been thinking of them a lot lately and regretting the fact that we don't keep in better contact. In the note, she wrote how much our family's friendship meant to them and how they consider us family. Anyone that has been through residency in a location far away from family, know how important it is to have good friends. We all spent many holidays together when the hubbies were working too much for us to go home. Steph and her husband were some of the first friends we made in San Antonio. Jim and Mitch were in the same residency class. Their daughter was 18 months (I think) and we took a liking to her right away since we didn't have children of our own until 3rd year. We spoiled her! It was so easy to do because she was such a doll. Jim and I were known as "Mimmie and B" to Gracie and then also to their other children. In fact, most of our group in San Antonio called me "B"  :). They are also an important part of our 9/11 memories. Mitch and Steph didn't have cable then, so they and their two kids at the time spent the day at our house watching all of the horrific news footage. Ryan was born the next day.
I don't know for sure why I am writing this all or why this note got to me so much. Maybe it was just nice to know that someone would take the time to write such nice things. Like Oprah says (corny, I know), we all need to know that we matter, that we are loved. And that is so true. At any age or stage of our life. We just want to know that we matter. Thank you Steph for the beautiful note. It meant more than you will ever now.  We hope to see you and your family soon.  


(Sorry for the pictures being at the top. I am having problems again cutting and pasting my pictures with my Mac. Any suggestion?)

10 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Good friends are priceless! So great that you have someone in your life like that. I am sure she appreciates you telling her how much she means to you :-)

1:27 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Welcome back! My Luke was home last week also with fevers caused by strep throat and an infected gland. ick.

Cute pictures of the kids!

I agree with Robyn...you just can't put a price on TRUE FRIENDS!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Gracie is such a cutie in those pictures! It is awesome that you have such wonderful people in your life!

Can't wait to see you this weekend! Love ya lots!

11:57 AM  
Blogger jenny said...

That actually made me a little teary myself. I really am not looking forward to be the one moving this summer. It was definitely hard seeing you and Steph move on in your life. It's like you said we were like family to each other. I am just glad we are still in great touch.

And Gracie seriously looks just the same (as her other girls) I swear Mitch and Steph have a bunch of clones. Ha! I will try to call you soon I fear if I did...you would be getting an ear full of woe is me!! Love ya B!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:13 AM  
Blogger trayceetee said...

Wow--looks like there are a lot of issues with postings on this particular entry. Wonder what's up with that?
Anyway, so good to catch up on your life, even if it is via Blog! I miss you! Looked at recent pix of you, and I can totally tell you've lost weight! Way to go!!! I've lost a little over 20lb. on my WW voyage, and I'd like to lose more, but it's a daily challenge.
Hope you are doing well!
xoxo
tt

9:47 AM  
Blogger carlo said...

playing catch up-- how are you friend? i have been so out of it.

wanted to pop in and say hello!

looking at a conference in Vegas and thought of you. any great restaurant or shows we should hit?

2:12 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Come back!!

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home