My Photo
Name:
Location: Nebraska, United States

I am a stay-at-home mom to 2 children, Ryan and Alexa. My husband and I are high school sweethearts who have been through college, medical school, residency, and fellowship together. He just started his practice in orthopaedic spine surgery in our home town.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Self Portrait Tuesday

Okay, this one was hard for me. I do not like most pictures of myself. I thought I would take a picture of how I look most days, especially in the mornings. Ball cap, workout clothes, running shoes. Most mornings we hit the gym, run a few errands, and then it is time for lunch and naps. I usually don't get a shower until the afternoon, so this is what I look like on a normal day.


Looking at this picture, I have to stop myself from pointing out all of the things that I don't like (dark circles under my eyes, large nose, etc.). But that will do me no good. I guess I should focus on the things that I do like and the things that people have complimented me on. I think I have fairly nice skin, which I should give credit to my mom and grandmothers for. I always disliked that I looked younger than I was, but now, of course, I love that I don't have too many wrinkles (yet). I also like the shape and color of my eyes. I am glad that both of my kids inherited my eyes (Ryan the color and Alex the shape).

This sounds so corny, but blogging and even these self portraits have helped me to become much less critical of myself. We all have things about ourselves that we aren't fond of, but we also have so many wonderful things to offer. This sounds so trite, but if we were all the same, the world would be a very boring place. I am so thankful for all of the new friends I have "met" through blogging. Thank you for sharing all of your spectacular gifts with me and each other.

18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

isn't it amazing how so many of us have found is so challenging to take a look at ourselves without automatically listing our 'negatives/"

i love your photo, and that it captures you on a typical day. thanks for posting it!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Oh B, how I remember running into you at the gym on most mornings, and thought how good you looked. It makes me miss you even more.

I'm so glad you pointed out the things you love about yourself instead of being like me. I tend to pick apart every inch of myself. I need to join the Positive Pete club and get rid of the Negative Nelly in me.

I too have enjoyed getting to know other bloggers. The ways they feel, and their advice & thoughts, help me see things in myself and others everyday.

12:39 PM  
Blogger everything pink! said...

blogging has so done the same for me.

oh i miss my nikon.

thanks for sharing

1:31 PM  
Blogger everything pink! said...

hey and thanks for my package.

1:31 PM  
Blogger donna said...

WOW what a wonderful post!!!!! (You look so cute in the baseball cap.)
You do have great skin. I am glad that I am one of you blog friends.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

My first thought was "she's so young and fresh, no dark circles like mine!"

Re Alan: You didn't cry because you are immune to cheeze! I didn't even watch, it's moving too slow for me right now. I'll have to pick it up again during May sweeps!

1:36 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I loved what you said about how blogging has made you less critical of yourself. I feel the same. It's so refreshing to see that other's are going through similar things. It helps me alot too. Great picture.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are gorgeous-no make up and all! It is much easier to be negative about ourselves-so it is good that you are positive. I don't know anybody that likes their nose-isn't that funny?! I hate my nose, but my friend made a good point-she said that she wanted a nose job and then realized that her kids have her nose and if she "fixed" hers that they would not think their nose was ok. I thought that was so true!

I have enjoyed this new blogging experience as well-I should keep up with it more. It has been fun-especially since my sister talks about you and her other friends and so I feel like I know you, too:)

3:51 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Oh look how beautiful you are!! I know what you mean about trying not to knitpick the things we don't like about ourselves. I had to restrain myself on my own picture for that very reason.

You look great though, there is nothing to knitpick!!!!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Bridget, I also wanted to add I got my Good mail yesterday, it was perfect!! And the timing was perfect too, with me being on my sick bed!! Thanks so much, you're a sweetie! :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Bridget you are so cute. Seeing your picture makes me miss you. I remember you coming over to my house in your hat and work out clothes. Your skin IS great. I wish I would have taken better care of mine. Hows the foot?

5:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I relate with you well Bridget. I like your picture and your words. :)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I like your positives. We all have negatives and could spend eternity focused on that but miss out on all the good stuff! You are adorable and I love knowing more about you.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Your ending paragraph is right on. Plus after reading everybody's self-portrait posts today I'm realizing how silly it is that we all have these hang-ups and criticisms about ourselves. We are what we are and it's good enough!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Great photo! I too am proud that you found the good things instead of the negatives.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

8:04 PM  
Blogger annalisa said...

I think your picture is cute. And coming from someon whose eyes look the size of peas in pictures, be very grateful for those big eyes.

9:26 PM  
Blogger trayceetee said...

You DO have great skin, and I love your eyes, too--always have. Also, you have fantastic hair, and a lovely smile and I think you have very pretty hands (now that you don't bite your nails--tee! hee! remember that stuff your Mom used to paint on them to keep you from biting them?). I'm not brave enough for a self-portrait yet... but I do like my nose.... maybe I SHOULD do a self-portrait...

7:16 AM  
Blogger carlo said...

i really love what you said about the self-portraits making you LESS critical. i have noticed that, too. it is amazing to me, this blogging journey.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home