My Photo
Name:
Location: Nebraska, United States

I am a stay-at-home mom to 2 children, Ryan and Alexa. My husband and I are high school sweethearts who have been through college, medical school, residency, and fellowship together. He just started his practice in orthopaedic spine surgery in our home town.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

My New Look

Isn't it sexy? I know you all want one.

As most of you know, I have been training for a half marathon in May. I have really enjoyed it and have found that runner's high that many talk about. Last Tuesday, I ran 3 1/2 and ran fairly fast (at least for me). My right ankle area was sore after, but so were other parts of my body. Unfortunately, it only got worse. I didn't run again Wednesday and only did the bike on Thursday. By the end of the week, I couldn't even do that. I tried to take it really easy, resting and icing it. But nothing seemed to work. Jim and I decided that I needed to see his partner to find out what was wrong.

Tuesday I went in to see the doctor. They took some x-rays and decided that there were some concerning things on the x-ray, so he had me do an MR. That stunk! I had to lay on my side for almost an hour, completely still. I forgot about the pain in my foot because my hip and shoulder hurt so bad from lying on them for so long. The MR showed a stress fracture in my tibia, hence the lovely looking boot on my foot. I need to wear this for 3 weeks and then we will x-ray it again. He would also like me to use crutches at home. Sounds fun, huh?

I am really bummed about the whole thing. I know, there are so many worse things in life. I am not sick and my family is happy and healthy. But I was really looking forward to the half marathon and, believe it or not, the training. I felt so strong and confident. The other thing is that we have 2 trips planned in the next two weeks. I am leaving today with the kids for Kansas City to help take care of my niece for a few days and then next Tuesday all of us go to San Antonio/Horseshoe Bay for a relaxing trip. I guess I just need to look at this as a great opportunity to rest my foot and let it heal so I only have to wear this for the 3 weeks. I will be really upset if I go back in 3 weeks and it's not healed. That would be bad.

I know things could be worse. But I am going to take a few days to feel sorry for myself and then I get over it. Take care!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Aw man, I feel sorry for you too. I was in the exact predicament five years ago when I was training for a triathalon. But hey, maybe you'll get a ride in the little golf cart at the airport! Go ahead and feel sorry for yourself and follow all of doctors orders, you'll be back running in no time!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Oh Bridget I'm sorry. That really stinks. I need some advice n getting the runner's high. I enjoy knowing that I'm becoming healthier(eventhough I eat crap!) through exercise, but have difficult spots while running. I want on eday for the entire run to be cake. Is that possible?
I've been having knee issues and Greg keeps trying to get me to rest it but I tend to go ahead and run on it. Not good I'm sure.
Feel sorry for yourself and put your foot up for a while and you will be back to running soon.
See you soon, boot and all!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Caitlin and Mike said...

That is such a bummer! It is so hard that you have set the goal of running a race, were having fun training, and now your plans are derailed by this injury.I'm a runner too, and I HATE injuries. Nothing is worse than being sidelined!

11:24 AM  
Blogger donna said...

Oh I am so sorry!!!! That is a big bummer. I know you have been training so hard for the half marathon.
I hope that it heals up fast and you will be out there running again.
PUT YOUR FOOT UP AND GET SOME REST.
Lots of hugs, Donna

11:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i know you are disappointed! but you will be back, and ready to tackle the next race!

rest up, milk it for a little while, and then on with recovery!! enjoy your travels.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

You have every right in the world to feel sorry for yourself!! I'm so sorry for you!

I hope you are still able to enjoy your vacations and that you can return to running soon!

p.s. thanks for making my day with such fun good mail!

12:43 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Bridget, that's awful. Like you said there are worse things but it really stinks to be thrown off your routine. Hope you heal soon and can get back to running.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Oh no! I hope it heals really fast and that it doesn't ruin your vacations or your half marathon plans!!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

It's totally understandable that you're upset about this set back and are feeling sorry for yourself. You were on a roll with your training and were doing something great for yourself. Hopefully you'll be better in 3 weeks (that's amazing to consider isn't it?) and you'll appreciate your healthy bones that much more in the future. Have fun on your trips!

1:54 PM  
Blogger stefanie said...

Those boots are so fabulous. I sprained my ankle three weeks ago and had to wear one of those lovelies around.

I finally got out of it last week. Still a little sore, but it is SO great to wear normal shoes again... in pairs! Feel better soon!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well shoot! I hate when I get derailed from something I am looking forward too. Keep your chin up! There are lots of races to still be run :) (HUG)

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home