My Photo
Name:
Location: Nebraska, United States

I am a stay-at-home mom to 2 children, Ryan and Alexa. My husband and I are high school sweethearts who have been through college, medical school, residency, and fellowship together. He just started his practice in orthopaedic spine surgery in our home town.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Cancelled Trip, Crutches, and Where I Blog



This has not been my best week. Tuesday night I find out I have a stress fracture in my tibia and have to wear a boot for at least 3 weeks. The doctor had recommended crutches, but I thought I would be okay without them. I was wrong. I did too much on Wednesday, and by lunchtime, my foot was throbbing. It was so painful!! I knew then that there was no way I could take my trip to Kansas City. I didn't know how I was going to fly by myself and then take care of an infant. I felt so bad about canceling on my sister. The kids and I had been really looking forward to taking care of Aubrey and hanging out with my sister, her husband, and their 2 dogs. There were quite a few tears shed by the kids (and me) when I explained to then that we would not be going. Poor things, it broke my heart. My sister was so sweet and understanding, thank goodness. I hope she knows I would have loved to have been there. We will be planning another trip for as soon as it heals. Love you Shannon and Aubrey! We miss you!!

Donna had posted the other day about where she blogs and wondered where the rest of us blog. Usually I blog at my kitchen desk. It is in the middle of all the action, so I can still work on my blog but see what the kids are doing. Lately I have been blogging on the couch with my laptop, with my booted foot propped up on the ottoman. Much more comfy than my foot hanging down at my side.
**Where do you blog?**



(This was taken this summer. Oh, how I miss that tan!)


***A big thank you to my husband for being so helpful around the house. Love you babe! Also, to my friend Tammy who is watching my kids right now so I can have a little break and so they can get out of the house and for watching them for 2 hours on Tuesday when I had my MR. I am SO lucky to have you as my neighbor and especially as my friend. My mom also watched my children and is bringing dinner over tonight and taking my kids to a Fish Fry tomorrow night. Last but not least, thanks to Jim's step mom. She is getting the kids this afternoon to go play and then have McDonald's. They are thrilled! I love you all!!***

13 Comments:

Blogger donna said...

Wow I am so sorry you had to cancel your trip. Oh I feel so sad for you. But it would be so hard for you to fly all by yourself with all your kids.


That is great that your husband is a big help! What a sweet husband you have.
If I lived close, I would come and help you.


Thanks for posting a picture of where you blog. I think it is fun to see where everyone blogs at.
Have a great day,

12:21 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

That totally stinks B! I almost called you today, but thought you would be tied up. I should have called. Sorry about your painful foot. Take it easy. I am so glad your mom is there to help you and of course Jim!

I have been looking back at pictures when I was tan--isn't it crazy how fast it fads? Maybe I'll catch some rays in AZ. I'll try and call you sometime this weekend. Hugs from me!! Hang in there- love ya.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Oh my goodness Bridget!!! I am SO sorry about your cancelled trip!! I know how you were SO looking forward to it!!!

What a bummer!!!

Where do I blog? Well, usually it's in the study, but lately it's in whatever room with the wireless laptop. But most of my pictures are on our desktop so then I have to go in there to add the pictures in.

And thank you SO much for your sweet comments today on my blog, I saw it for a brief second earlier and I've thought about it several more times today.

I also got my degree in Elementary Ed. but I did not teach because I had my first child right after I finished my student teaching (the next week).

Where did you get your degree? I went to BYU. Did you teach in Texas or Nebraska?

Oh, I'm so glad you have such a great support network for your kids and for you! What a great family!!!

I hope you heal enough to make connections for your next trip!!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Shawna B. said...

Hi Bridget! Fun to hear from you! Very sad that we are in the same boat with the boot! Not fun. Yours is at least a better color than mine. :) I was training for a race, too. Such a bummer. You will have to make sure you do a half marathon as soon as you are feeling good. It's my favorite racing distance.

Good luck with your recovery! I hope you are back on your feet again soon!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

One bummer after another! So sorry!!

Glad you have people to help you out. Experiences like this always remind me of the all the good friends and family we have to carry our load with us.

Hope you have a good weekend and that your foot heals quickly. I can't imagine doing all the mom duties on crutches!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

Thanks for all the well wishes. We are managing.

Kari- I got my teaching certificate at Nebraska, taught in Omaha for 3 years and in San Antonio for 3 years, in 2 totally different jobs. One was a very urban school with little parental involvement and the other was in a very nice area with maybe too much involvement. :)I loved teaching, but can't imagine doing it now with kids.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

That's sad about your trip, but is a good decision since you couldn't carry a baby while on crutches (such an image is comical). It's much better if you take it easy at home. How nice that you can use the laptop while healing.

I blog from my scrapbook/office/homeschool room.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Bridget, I'm so sorry about your foot! I have been behind on blogs and just read about your poor foot. I am sorry you have been dealing with this. Such a bummer. I hope that your foot heals quickly and you are getting in some good R&R. Take Care!!!

7:13 PM  
Blogger stefanie said...

So sorry you had to cancel your trip. That is a bummer. I am glad you have found a comfy place to blog.

I typically blog at the dining room table. That is where I have set up a make-shift office with my laptop and stationery supplies. Hope to have the office renovation done soon so I can get all this out of here!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Bridget...I am so sorry about your ankle/tendon/foot! What a disappointment. I hope you recover very soon. What a sad, sorry bunch we are, eh? Get well soon from one laid up lady to another.

7:40 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

So sad about having to cancel your trip but you are smart to not overdo it. It's nice you have help at home. Hope it heals soon so you can go see your sister.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Oh No! I am just now catching up on your blog. So sorry to hear about your injury and cancelled trip!

7:09 PM  
Blogger carlo said...

so sorry you had to cancel-- that stinks! i am glad you have some helpers though...

i blog at my kitchen desk, too. it is always there and very (too?) easy to check in during the day. i also love it that i can keep an eye on the girls.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home