My Photo
Name:
Location: Nebraska, United States

I am a stay-at-home mom to 2 children, Ryan and Alexa. My husband and I are high school sweethearts who have been through college, medical school, residency, and fellowship together. He just started his practice in orthopaedic spine surgery in our home town.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Lesson Learned

Today I felt like the worst person in the world. This morning as we were getting ready to go to the gym, my phone rang. The name and number didn't look familiar to me but I answered anyway. It was a mom of one of the kids in Alex's mom-day-out program. I don't know her, but always found her a little odd (so judgemental of me, I know). She asked if I could watch her daughter for awhile. I was so taken a back and said that we were on our way out the door (we really were, but not a good excuse). She said that was okay; she wanted to run to the hospital to see her mom. I said I was sorry and we hung up. Let me tell you, I felt about this big and absolutely terrible. What kind of a person doesn't help another when their mother is in the hospital. I sat there for a few moments feeling so guilty and horrible, so I pick up the phone, called her back, and told her I would love to watch Emily. She said we didn't have to do it right away, it wasn't an emergency, so we agreed we would meet at my house in an hour. We quickly went to the gym (ran 3 1/3 miles) and came home. I have to say, she was very grateful and her child was very sweet and polite. The kids had a really nice time together. I hope this teaches me not to be so quick to judge others that I don't know. I am always willing to help my "friends", but that's easy. I need to be more willing to put myself out there to those that I don't know. Today I definately learned an important lesson. I guess that is what life is all about.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I know exactly how you feel. It's so easy to be helpful to friends. I am guilty of making those kinds of judgements and being stingy with my service so I appreciate your reminder to help anyone in need. Good for you for calling back!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

You called her back. That is who you truly are. If you were different, you wouldn't have cared. I think it's great that you helped her out. Lots of people (including me) might not have. I hope I can recorrect that quickly.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

I am totally guilty of this one. I have screened phone calls before and not answered because I have had a couple of people, not rally friends, call and ask for a little of my time to watch kids. Just last week I did just this. I was already having a crappy day and when my phone rang and I checked the id, I blew it off and thought they'll just leave a message. Then later I find out from Jenny this person was needing an emergent medical question answerered. I felt so small and dumb. I vowed to answer my phone no matter what now!
Good for you for calling her back and agreeing to it.

2:24 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

UMm can I say I am guilty too? It's so easy to say yes to those we love and know their kids. That goes to show what type of person you are...you called her back. What a great friend or should I say aquaintance? She probably was so grateful. I am glad the kids played well, another added bonus :)

3:29 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I agree with Lucy: you called her back, because you did care. I am glad that everything worked out, you were able to get your run and you were able to help out a friend.
I hope you have a great night.!

5:54 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

That was such an inspirational post. I have this one woman from church who is always telling me that her daughter would love to come and play at our house. I keep blowing her off but after reading your post I know I need to help her out.

10:14 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

PS, I just scrolled down and saw your husband's new toyota. I have to admit I love that car.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Aww Bridget. I had a similar lesson learned yesterday. My sister called for a good cry, but I didn't answer because I was on the other line breaking down Hollywood gossip with my friend! I didn't find out until later from my mom the reason for my sister's call. I felt like such a jerk!

The woman must have been desperate to call only an acquaintance. You did a good thing to call back.

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home