My Photo
Name:
Location: Nebraska, United States

I am a stay-at-home mom to 2 children, Ryan and Alexa. My husband and I are high school sweethearts who have been through college, medical school, residency, and fellowship together. He just started his practice in orthopaedic spine surgery in our home town.

Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th, 2001

I can vividly remember almost every detail of that terrible day. I was a day overdue from having my 1st child, Ryan. I was sitting in my green chair watching TV because I couldn't sleep and eating the only thing that didn't give me heartburn at this point, toast with peanut butter. They broke into "Good Morning America" with reports that the WTC had been hit by what they thought at first was a small passenger plane. I was talking to my dad on the phone and watching it live when I asked him if he just saw what I thought I saw, another plane hitting the towers. I could not believe it. From then on, I must have said every prayer I knew and even a few "Hail Mary's" that my child would not be born on this day. Jim was working at the VA at the time and was sent home early. Our good friends, the Larsen's, brought their kids and came down to our house to watch the days events unfold (they didn't have cable at the time). No one really knew what to say to one another; we just sat there sick to our stomachs. The only good thing was that Ryan was not born that day. He waited until the next day (12th) to be born. He will have quite a story to tell when he gets older. I can't believe that it has been 5 years and I can't believe my 1st baby will be 5 tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I too remember you hoping Ryan wouldn't come on 9/11. Didn't you end up going into the hospital that day and he waited until the next day to arrive. I can't remember.

I was hoping you wouldn't post today so I could surprise you with rmembering Ryan's birthday tomorrow. I honestly thought of him this morning when I posted my 9/11 post. Hope he a has a great day.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Bridget said...

How sweet of you to remember Ryan's bday. My water didn't break until the am of the 12th, so I was super lucky. Was that your 1st or 2nd year in SA?

7:44 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Okay I admit I forgot it was Ryan's birthday. I know I know LAME friend. Anyways, such a weird and eerie time. One I know we will never forget. I am glad Ryan wasn't born on this day either.

I have to admit I had to laugh that the Larsen's didn't have cable at that time especially since Steph loved CNN so much.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

First year in SA. I met you at Rudy's and then one other time and then I went to your shower at Steph's. I remember you were so bubbly and cute.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home