My Photo
Name:
Location: Nebraska, United States

I am a stay-at-home mom to 2 children, Ryan and Alexa. My husband and I are high school sweethearts who have been through college, medical school, residency, and fellowship together. He just started his practice in orthopaedic spine surgery in our home town.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A 5K and a Party


Sami with her shirt honoring her daughter Lizzie

Saturday was a beautiful day! I ran in my first ever race, a 5K. I was going to run in a half marathon last May, but then got a stress fracture and had to pull out. Maybe that was the way it was supposed to be because my first race was a memorial run for my friend's daughter Lizzie who died of cancer last October. It was a perfect morning and I was able to run the whole thing without walking, which was my goal. It was an emotional run since there were posters with pictures of Lizzie and some of her favorite Bible verses posted throughout the route. Anytime I wanted to walk, I just thought about that brave little girl and how much pain she endured. That was more than enough motivation to keep me going. Thank you Stratton family for letting me be a part of your family!
Sami, Ryan, and I hanging out after the race

That afternoon was Alex's birthday party for her friends. This was her first one with just her friends. She loved it! We did a little Build a Bear activity at a local toy store. The kids were so well behaved and cute. It was so easy having it there and not at my house. I think she will be talking about her party for a long time.


12 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Awesome about the run. It is kind of neat that you ended up being able to debut at Lizzie's run. Happy Birthday again! I've never been to Build a Bear and I think Quincy is the perfect age, her birthday is coming up! Yee!

3:54 PM  
Blogger donna said...

You go girl! What a special run for you and your friends. !


Well my big run is coming up soon :)

4:45 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Congratulations on the race! It is a big milestone to do that, I think! And I only say that because the Bolder Boulder was my first race as well!!

Happy Birthday to Alex, she's such a cutie pie!

6:31 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Good for you! I am so happy to hear you are back running. Cute photos of Alex :)

7:22 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

That picture of you and Alex is so cute! Looks like a fun party.

Congrats on finishing your first race. I'm glad the foot is feeling better!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Glad you are back running and what better race than one for Lizzie.

Alex is so dang cute!!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I'm glad your ankle is well enough for you to run again. I remember you sharing Lizzie's story and how much she means to you. What a great cause!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Great job! I so wish I was a runner. Cute Picturs.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

We love Build a Bear, what a fun birthday party! Alex is such a pretty girl - beautiful eyes!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Congrats on your big run. It's great that you supported your friend.

We miss Build A Bear. My kids sleep every night with the bears they chose last Nov. when we were visiting the States. So fun.

9:13 PM  
Blogger annalisa said...

Woohoo! It's probably best this way because you will remember your first race with fondness and now it can be this race.
Your little girl is so cute. What a fun party. And your hair is really cute too. How's all-day kindergarten going?

2:22 PM  
Blogger carlo said...

Hi Bridget!!!!! Getting caught up on your summer and wow, what fun you had!

Love your cute hair!! I am so close to chopping mine...

THe bday and golf pics are so sweet. My Ellie did golf and every time she made contact with the ball she would squeal! It was priceless. (None of the 4 boys followed suit though).

Most of all CONGRATS on your race. WooWOo. Very good and great cause. I love that it gave you courage to power on by thinking of Lizzie.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home